List Price: $11.95
Strategies for Discipleship
A Small Group Curriculum that Targets the Skills for Discipling Others
Authored by Rob Fischer
Authored with Dan Jarrell
Strategies for Discipleship is a small group curriculum. The Strategies for Discipleship are relational skills that equip followers of Jesus in propelling themselves and others forward in their relationship with God. The Strategies for Discipleship are biblical, relational, transferable disciple-making skills. We present these skills in a seven-week, small group format with both personal projects and small group discussion elements.
The goal of Strategies for Discipleship is a deeper relationship with God that results in life change-life change in you and in others whom you lead, interact with, and influence.
Discipleship is neither optional nor the deluxe tour for Christians! As disciples of Jesus Christ, we intentionally follow Jesus, growing in relationship with him and inviting him daily to transform us making us more like him.
How do we disciple others?
* We must model and coach discipleship. Discipleship is more caught than taught.
* Discipleship occurs in the context of the community of Christ and in spiritual partnership with other followers of Christ. “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17)
* Attend to the skills of discipling others and not merely the content of our teaching.
* We can effectively disciple others One-on-one, in small groups and even in larger groups. We often assume that one-on-one discipleship is the best possible combination. But, one-on-one discipleship is not always the most effective means of discipling others. There are times in which discipling others can be much more effective in groups.
* Discipleship is a life-long process. Paul wrote to the Christ-followers in Philippi, “I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” (Philippians 1:6 NLT)
About the author:
Rob Fischer is pastor of small groups, discipleship and leadership development at Southside Christian Church in Spokane, Washington. Rob came to know Christ at a young age and God really took hold of his life at 19. Rob is a graduate of Moody Bible Institute, Spokane, Washington; Northwestern College, Roseville, Minnesota; Luther Rice Seminary, Atlanta, Georgia; and Amberton University, Garland, Texas. Rob served as pastor of two small churches in the US; helped establish two churches in Austria; managed the training and development functions for Burlington Northern Railroad and Kaiser Aluminum; and worked as pastor of adult ministries at ChangePoint, Anchorage, Alaska. Rob and his wife Linda have three children and seven grandchildren. Rob is passionate about leading people into deeper relationship with Jesus Christ, resulting in life change.
Dan Jarrell serves as teaching pastor at ChangePoint church in Anchorage, Alaska, where he has been since 2000. He entered a relationship with Jesus Christ in 1977 while studying geology at Southern Oregon University. Dan holds a graduate degree from Western Seminary in Portland, Oregon, where he is currently finishing a doctoral program. He served on the faculty of Multnomah University, planted a church in Conway, Arkansas and served as teaching pastor with Fellowship Bible Church in Little Rock, Arkansas. Dan has also been a speaker for Family Life conferences for many years. Dan and his wife Kathie have five children. Dan loves the church! His passion is to lead the church as it becomes a community that enjoys God fully, is constantly transformed by God’s Spirit, and demonstrates the heart of Jesus to the world around it.
- Publication Date:
- Nov 02 2011
- 146646903X / 9781466469037
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 8.5″ x 11″
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Religion / Christian Church / Growth