26 Great Reasons to Join a Small Group! (Reasons 11-15)
11. Small groups exhibit Christ in the home to our children, neighbors and friends. Acts 2:47, they were “praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.” Our singles small group used to meet on our back patio on warm summer evenings. We sang praises to God accompanied by a guitar. To be honest, I was a bit self-conscious, concerned that we might be disturbing the neighbors. On the contrary, our neighbors loved the fact that these young people were singing praises to God! Also, over many years of leading small groups, our children watched, participated and took it all in. Today they are leading, participating in and understand the importance of small groups because of what we modeled for them.
12. Small groups demonstrate that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts! Two Small groups raised over $10,000 to dig a well in Uganda and in the process impacted hundreds of people. Their efforts even made the evening news on television!
13. Small groups provide an ideal setting for fulfilling the “one-another” passages. “Be devoted to one another; honor one another; live in harmony with one another; love one another; accept one another.” (Romans 12:10, 16; 13:8; 15:7)
14. Small groups give us the opportunity to contribute to and build into others’ lives. My wife and I had the amazing privilege of filling in as surrogate parents for a number of young men and women when we lived in Alaska. I think especially of some young women who had deep father-wounds that were impairing their relationships with men. Our small group setting gave us the opportunity to demonstrate for them what a marriage looks like when we’re following Jesus.
15. Small groups are simple! I started leading my first small group when I was 19—I had no idea what I was doing! But we met together, studied the Word, prayed, and cared for one another. (My wife, Linda was part of that small group! So I guess you could argue that this is yet another reason to join a small group!)
©2012 Rob Fischer